Avoid fish with high levels of mercury, such as shark, tile fish, swordfish and king mackerel. Albacore tuna is higher in mercury than regular light tuna. Eat albacore tuna only 12 ounces monthly. It is better to eat light tuna packed in spring water 12 ounces weekly.
Avoid exposure to toxic chemicals and substances. Take special care with cleaning products and always read the label. Clean in a well ventilated area. Avoid lead-based paints, indoor shooting ranges, and using dishes that contain lead.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite that can harm an unborn baby.
- Avoid handling cat litter – it’s ok to pet your cat and hold him.
- Wear gloves when gardening.
- Do not eat undercooked meats.
Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus is carried by rodents, including pet hamsters and guinea pigs. LCMV can cause abnormalities in pregnancy.
- Avoid all rodents.
- Do not handle rodent urine, droppings, or nesting materials.
- Wash your hands if you must handle rodents, and avoid touching your mouth or eyes.
Listeriosis is an infection caused by bacteria in unpasteurized or undercooked foods. It can be treated with antibiotics, but it is best to prevent the infection first.
- Cook raw foods thoroughly, such as beef, pork, poultry and fish.
- Wash all vegetables/fruits before eating.
- Avoid unpasteurized milk.
- Avoid soft cheeses, such as brie, camembert and blue veined cheeses.
- Cook hot dogs before eating.
The risk of deli meats being contaminated with listeriosis is extremely low, as long as the deli is clean.