It is recommended that during pregnancy, each woman should follow a well-balanced, healthful diet.
- Eat at least 3 servings of fruits and 4 servings of vegetables a day. This includes all dark green, orange and yellow leafy vegetables and all fruits. Kool-aid® or fruit drinks do not count as your daily fruit and vegetable intake. An 8oz. glass of 100% fruit juice without corn syrup counts.
- Eat 4 servings of whole grains, such as whole wheat, oats and brown rice. White bread is not a whole grain.
- Eat 2 eggs daily. Eggs are rich in omega3 fatty acids, protein and iron.
- Eat 4 - 5 servings of dairy products, such as milk, cheese or yogurt.
- Eat 3 - 4 lean meats such as chicken, beef or pork. Or meat substitutes, such as peanut butter, tofu or soybeans.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily. Avoid excess salt, sugar and caffeine.
Important Food Sources
Beef, Pork, Veal, Chicken, Fish, Shellfish, Grains, Cereals, Fruits, Beans, Legumes, Dairy Products, Carrots, Corn, Lettuce, Molasses, Tofu, Peanut Butter
Bananas, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Oranges, Cantaloupe, Melons, Peaches, Prunes, Apricots, Raisins, Watermelon, Beets, Green Vegetables, Soybeans, Squash, Mushrooms, Nuts, Salt Substitute, Buttermilk or Low fat Milk, Citrus, Prune or Tomato Juice
Fortified Cereals, Legumes, Whole Grains (such as whole wheat), Wheat Germ, Seafood, Shellfish, Fish
Cheeses, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, All Milks, Sardines, Salmon, Beans, Oysters, Tofu, Collards, Kale, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Waffles, Cornbread, Pancakes, Blackstrap Molasses, Custard
Enriched Grains, such as Cereal, Bread, Rice and Pasta. Orange Juice, Green Leafy Vegetables, Broccoli, Asparagus, Peas, Lentils, Beans and Peanuts.
Water, Milk, Juice, Sports Drinks (such as Gatorade®, Powerade®). It is very important that you drink at least 8 - 10 glasses of water daily. Avoid caffeine – caffeine dehydrates you. Do not count sodas, teas, juice or milk as part of your daily water intake.